WHA Unit III: The Emergence of the Modern West
Test 1: Birth of the Renaissance –Reformation
Know the following:
· How the rise of the merchant class affected Western Europe's political, social, religious and economic structure and traditions.
· Why Florence is considered the birth place of the Renaissance: Location, historical events, Medici dynasty
· Italian Humanism vs. Christian Humanism: Compare and contrast; ID both in Literature/Art
· Artists and their works: Leonardo di Vinci, Michelangelo, Botticelli; Brunelleschi
· Church corruption and reform demands
· Protestant Reformation: characteristics and outcomes
Trace developments (see above - 1st bullet)
Geography (Review your map and Why Florence? assignment): Explain how place, movement, and human interaction aided in "birth" of the Renaissance.
Compare/Contrast (see above)
Review how to critically analyze literature and art – practice!
Application: apply what you know about Church corruption to a given reform scenario