The practice of writing skills is necessary all areas of
education. For this reason, in addition to the historical content the course
will emphasize analyzing and interpretation of historical documents, assessing
the validity of historical propositions and building an effective argument
Course Evaluations will vary depending on
assignment. Be prepared for Unannounced reading Quizzes!
with file folders
- USB drive
Policy: A total point system
will be used and points will vary by assignment. Quizzes will be given
throughout the semester and will be based on homework: vocabulary, map
assignments, supplementary readings, etc. I may or may not announce the quiz so
always be prepared to have one! As your
writing becomes more proficient the point value of
Essays will increase:
September -November 40 points; December - February 70 points; March - June 100
or Unit Tests will be given throughout the semester.
be assigned throughout the semester.
This class observes
the LHS Student Code of Conduct adopted by the high school. Make sure to read
the student handbook regarding tardies, referrals, attendance and other polices
related to the code of conduct.
- Value yourself. Be honest and ethical.
- Treat all members of the school community & all visitors with dignity &
- Honor the ideas & opinions of others.
- Offer to help. Practice random acts of kindness.
responsible with property and belongings.
questions. Think critically.
an advocate for yourself—ask for help when you need it.
the course website
- Students have the responsibility to attend class regularly & to contact the
instructor for make-up work when absent. Students are encouraged to call or
send an e-mail letting the instructor know s/he won't be in class.
- Students & parents are strongly encouraged to visit the class calendar on the
course website to keep track of assignments when absent. .
- Students are expected to meet with the instructor before any
school-sponsored absence to make arrangements for any work missed. Failure
to do so will result in the work being late and will be penalized according to
the late policy.
- Tardies are marked in the electronic grade book.
legitimately late to class, students must bring a pass noting the tardy is
students are required to formally sign in on the clipboard's "Sign In/Out
Sheet" when entering class late.
- Consistent tardiness will be handled according to the Student handbook.
- Students are expected to remain in the classroom during the scheduled class
period. Students are required to sign out and sign back in on the "Sign
In/Sign Out Sheet" located near the door when leaving the classroom for any
- Only one student will be allowed out of the classroom at any one time.
avoid missing class time, make sure to bring all materials to class and take
care of any personal business before or after class.
- Each class is a learning community where we work together as a team. To
further emphasize this, students will be assigned a Makeup Work Partner and
will be responsible for completing a
"While You Were Out Sheet..."
for his/her Makeup Work Partner if s/he is
- They will also staple any handouts / assignments given in class that day to
"While You Were Out Sheet..."
and place the material in the wire basket.
absent, students should refer to this sheet upon return to class and ask
his/her Makeup Work Partner if there are any questions. See your instructor,
students do not have an assignment completed to turn in on the due date, they
will be required to completely fill out a
Assignment" Sheet. This serves
as a paper trail.
- Students will need to attach the
"No Assignment" Sheet
to the back of the assignment if
- Major assignments will have specific due dates. If absent when an assignment
or test is due, students must submit the work or complete the test the day of
quizzes and tests must be made up during a study hall or after school - class
time will not be given for make-up work.
a student is absent the day before a scheduled test, s/he will be expected to
complete the test as scheduled. If not, the late policy will take effect.
a student has an unexcused absence on the day an assignment is due, it is an
automatic no credit and will be recorded as a 0.
- Students should meet with the instructor the following day after an excused
absence to initiate make-up work. It's all about communication.
- Late work will be penalized 30% PER DAY, and will not be accepted
after 2 days late on most assignments.
- There may be daily "homework checks" periodically to make sure students are
prepared for that day's activity. These "homework checks" may not be turned
in for late credit & will recorded as a "0".
- Students are required to follow the district's Technology Acceptable Use.
Failure to comply will result in loss of privileges and disciplinary action
- Only authorized use will be permitted during class time. Inappropriate use
(gaming, instant-messaging, playing music, etc.) will not be tolerated.
last portion and return this page to me signed.
I have read
and understand the course syllabus. I understand that my cooperation with the
noted expectations will help to create a stimulating and caring learning